As one age, back pain tends to come to the fore. The pain can vary from mildly painful to severely debilitating, and back pain can have a serious impact on your quality of life. Dr. Jeffrey Sather and his team at the Sather Chiropractic Center serving Bellingham, WA, offer an integrative approach to providing pain relief.
Causes of Back Pain
Often, back pain is a symptom of a more significant underlying problem, including any or a combination of the following:
- Injuries including ligament tears
- Aging, including the degeneration of the vertebrae
- Infection or Disease
- Strain due to the improper or overuse of the body during strenuous activity
- Poor muscle tone or muscle tension resulting in spasms
- Joint problems
Therefore, when visiting a chiropractor for the first time, it is likely that they will assess you to determine what therapies will be of the best benefit. They will ask you about your symptoms and specifically describe the type of pain you are experiencing.
Types of Back Pain
The type of pain you experience will fall into one of three categories.
- Axial pain – which is confined to one area. The way the pain feels may vary from person to person.
- Referred pain – the amount of pain and the area, may vary. Usually, the pain is dull or achy.
- Radicular pain – a searing type of pain that may extend down into the leg and be caused by inflammation or compression.
Luckily, Dr. Sather at Sather Chiropractic Center, serving Bellingham, WA, is on hand to assist with your back pain and offers a range of treatment options. These include massage therapy and hands-on spinal decompression.
Particularly for back pain, these treatment options work well together. Spinal decompression works to realign your spine with spinal traction, and pelvic blocks. Massage therapy relieves tension and spasms you may be experiencing. There are a variety of massage therapies available, depending on your individual needs, including Swedish, deep tissue, and sports massage.
These treatments are non-invasive, and repeated exposure to the correct chiropractic treatments for your back pain may improve your quality of life and reduce the amount of pain you are experiencing without resorting to surgery.
If you are suffering from back pain, reach out to Dr. Sather and his team at Sather Chiropractic Center serving Bellingham, WA to book an appointment at 360-650-9550 today!